Great Crossing Baptist Church, originally called Big Crossing, was organized in May 1785 on the site of the first permanent settlement in Scott County, near the buffalo crossing on Elkhorn Creek. Landowner and farmer, Robert Johnson, donated land for the church, and Elijah Craig became its first pastor. In May 1796 an addition was added to the original meeting house, and this facility served the congregation until 1825. In 1801, Great Crossings reported a membership of 423, with 376 baptisms, making it the largest church in the Elkhorn Association.
In 1824-25, a new brick building was built where men and women sat on separate sides! This building was damaged beyond repair during a tornado in 1923. The new facility, our present building, was dedicated in February 1925.
In June 2012, Ray Roach retired after serving as pastor for ten years. In November of the same year, the church called Rick Hardison as its pastor.